The present continuous: Be + Verb-ing: I am doing …
When we don’t use the continuous form
We don’t use the present continuous with these verbs:
Mark has (got) a nice girlfriend.
like, love, hate:
I like pizza, I love spaghetti, but I hate mushroms.
need, prefer, want:
I need your help.
Do you prefer pizza or spaghettis?
Mark want a smartphone.
believe, know, understand:
Do you believe this girl? I believe her.
Do you know the answer? Yes, I know the answer!
Do you understand me? Yes, I understand you!
see, hear, feel, taste, smell:
Do you see him? Yes, he’s coming.
Do you hear me? Yes, I hear you!
Do you want to test this product?
This man smells bad!
look like, seem:
Look this bike. It looks like mine!
That seems impossible! No, you can do it!
- 001a: Present Continuous: I am doing
- 001b: Present Continuous: I am doing (2)
- 001c: Present Continuous: I am doing, description (3)
- 002: Present Simple: I do
- 003a: Present Continuous or Present Simple? I’m doing … or … I do … ?
- 003b: Present Continuous or Present Simple? I’m doing … or … I do …? (2)
- 003c: Present Continuous or Present Simple? I’m doing … or … I do … ? (3)